Corteza Project Diversity and Social Inclusion Statement
1. Policy statement
At the Corteza Project (the “Project”, or “Corteza”), we are committed to achieving Equality, Diversity and Social Inclusion across all our activities, ensuring than anyone, irrespective of race, ethnicity, gender, sexuality, ability or disability, age and other factors are always welcome to contribute. We aim to ensure that no one should receive less favourable treatment on the basis of, nor suffer disadvantage by reason of their nationality, ethnicity or religion. We are opposed to all forms of racism and sectarianism.
We recognize our responsibility under legislation in the Republic of Ireland that describes discrimination as the treatment of a person in a less favourable way than another person has been or would be treated in the following equality groups:
- People of Different Ages
- People from different Racial groups
- People from different Religions
- People from different Political Opinions or Backgrounds
- People of different Sexual Orientation
- People of different Marital Status
- People who have dependents and those who do not
- Men, Women or Transgender
- People who have a disability and those who do not
This Diversity and Social Inclusion Statement (the “Statement”) is applicable to all people that work with or contribute to the Project, be they Contributors, Working Group Members, Working Group Chairs or Project Directors, and sets out Corteza’s commitment towards Diversity and Social Inclusion.
2. Fundamental Principles
Corteza is a project that values equal opportunities and will not tolerate any form of discriminatory conduct, words or behaviour. The Project is based on the following principles:
- Equality: this means not only that we do not discriminate or in any way treat anyone less favourably on grounds of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, or sexual orientation, but also that we take positive actions to ensure fairness to all. We will not tolerate sexual or racially-based harassment or other discriminatory behaviour, whether physical or verbal, and will work to ensure that such behaviour is met with appropriate action in whatever context it might occur.
- Diversity: we respect the range of identities and cultures that make up our society and the Project and consider diversity as an added value to the project.
- Social Inclusion: all people involved in the Project and with whom we interact are respected, valued, encouraged, supported and able to take part fully in the Project, within their own role.
Equality, Diversity and Social Inclusion will be recognised through making the most of everyone’s potential. Everyone at the Corteza Project will provide positive leadership by encouraging greater understanding of the fundamental principles and our responsibilities to them.
In application of our fundamental principles, we are taking a series of measures.
First, the Corteza Board of Directors is to be made up in majority by women, and this will remain a minimum standard. Over time we hope to deliver even greater diversity in the Board of Directors (9 individuals).
Second, all information, programmes and documentation will be communicated in a manner accessible to each individual. Where particular circumstances require specific actions, we will endeavour to take such specific measures to ensure accessibility.
Third, to deal rapidly with any behaviour violating this Statement, we have created a specific email address where anyone wishing to complain about discriminatory treatment or conduct, or has an issue related to accessibility or any other question raised by this Statement, can contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org We will take the necessary actions to stop the conduct and ensure respect of these fundamental principles.
4. Updates to this Statement
This Statement will be periodically reviewed Board of Directors to prepare the Corteza Project to meet the changing needs of a diverse society.